How to Shop for Amazonite Gemstones: 5 Things to Keep in Mind
Amazonite is a soothing and beautiful gemstone that can be found in a range of colors, from light blue to green. As with any gemstone, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind when shopping for amazonite.
First and foremost, the color of the amazonite is a key factor in determining its value. Amazonites that are closer to blue in color are typically more valuable than those that are green. Secondly, the quality of the amazonite can vary widely, so it’s important to inspect the gemstone closely before making a purchase.
Be sure to ask about the cut and clarity of the gemstone, as well as its origin. Amazonite from certain parts of the world (such as Colorado) is considered more valuable than those from other sources. Finally, take into account your own personal preferences when choosing an amazonite stone. Some people prefer stones with a deep blue color, while others prefer stones with more green hues.
What Is an Amazonite Gemstone?
Before you buy any amazonite gemstones, it’s helpful to have a basic understanding of what they are. Amazonite is a greenish blue mineral that is found in North America, Brazil and Russia. The most valuable amazonite stones come from Russia, and they can be quite costly.
Keep these things in mind when shopping for amazonite:
1. The color of the stone can vary significantly, so it’s important to inspect it closely before purchasing.
2. Not all amazonite stones are created equal. The most valuable stones come from Russia, so if you’re looking for a high-quality stone, that’s the place to look.
3. Amazonite is often used in jewelry, so it’s important to make sure the quality of the stone is good enough to withstand wear and tear.
4. Amazonite is a relatively soft stone, so it should be protected from scratches and blows.
5. Amazonite gemstones are affordable, making them a popular choice for jewelry and other decorative items.
Assessing the Quality of Amazonite Gemstones
When shopping for amazonite gemstones, it’s important to assess the quality. Here are five things to look for:
1. Color: Amazonite gemstones can range in color from light green to deep blue-green, so it’s important to choose the color that you prefer.
2. Clarity: Amazonite gemstones should have few blemishes and inclusions.
3. Cut: Amazonite gemstones should be cut in a way that shows off their beautiful color and clarity.
4. Carat weight: Amazonite gemstones can range in size from 2 carats to 20 carats, so choose the size that you prefer.
5. Treatment: Amazonite gemstones may be treated with heat or chemicals to improve their color or clarity.
What to Look for in a Reputable Gemstone Dealer
When it comes to shopping for amazonite gemstones, it’s important to do your research and find a reputable dealer. After all, you want to make sure you’re getting the best quality stones for your money.
Here are some things to look for in a dealer:
1. Certifications and warranties – Reputable dealers will offer certificates of authentication and warranties on their gemstones.
2. Quality of gemstones – The stones should be high quality, with few flaws.
3. Variety of amazonite stones – The dealer should have a wide selection of amazonite stones in all colors and shades.
4. Customer service – A reputable dealer will offer excellent customer service, with knowledgeable staff who can help you find the right stones for your needs.
5. Price – The dealer should be competitively priced, without sacrificing quality.
Cuts and Shapes of Amazonite Gemstone
The fourth thing to keep in mind when shopping for amazonite gemstones is the cut and shape. The cut of a gemstone affects how it looks, how much light it reflects, and how valuable it is. Some of the most common shapes for amazonite gemstones are round, oval, pear, heart, marquise, and cushion. Pick a shape that reflects your personality and style!
Additionally, some gemstones may be cut with specialty facets that increase the stone’s brilliance and sparkle. Be sure to check out the different faceting patterns available to find one that you love! Finally, keep an eye out for differences in color intensity since they tend to vary depending on the cut of the stone.
Care and Maintenance of Amazonite Gemstones
The last thing to consider when shopping for amazonite gemstones is the care and maintenance. Amazonite gemstones require special care as they are relatively more delicate than other gems.
When not wearing your amazonite gemstone, always store it in a cloth pouch, or in case of loose gems, a box lined with soft cloth to avoid chipping or scratching. When cleaning your amazonite gemstone, use a soft, damp cloth and avoid using any chemical cleaners as they might damage the stone.
It’s also important to keep away from extreme temperatures and humidity when storing amazonite stones as it can affect their color and luster. For maximum benefit, wear the stone for short periods of time instead of the whole day, as wearing jewelry puts more strain on the stones due to sweat and air pollution.
More Tips on Shopping for Amazonite Gemstones
When shopping for an amazonite gemstone, it’s important to remember that the price isn’t always indicative of quality. You should look for one with a good cut and color, as well as ask questions about the origin and treatment of the stone.
Another thing to keep in mind is that Amazonite is not as strong as some other stones, such as quartz or diamond, so it needs special handling and care. To ensure your Amazonite gemstone will last a long time, store it separately from other gems, away from direct sunlight or heat. It’s also wise to have your gemstone examined by a professional gemologist for quality assurance before making your purchase.
Finally, if you plan to wear your Amazonite gemstone on a necklace or bracelet, make sure the setting is secure and doesn’t interfere with the stone’s luster or clarity. With these tips in mind, you’ll be on your way to finding the perfect Amazonite gemstone!
Amazonite is a beautiful gemstone, and with the right knowledge, you can purchase a quality piece that you’ll be proud to own. Keep these five things in mind the next time you’re shopping for amazonite, and you’ll be sure to find the perfect piece for your collection.